Here’s a challenge for the Commentariat:
Here is a imgur image of a message string on OK Cupid. I would like to say it is very weird, at least from one side of the exchange, but sadly we can all recognize these behaviors from real life.
So here’s the challenge:
1) Read the message thread.
2) List all the weird behaviors.
3) Assess how much they align with standard tropes in the dating script, courtly love narrative or similar cutlrual standards around heterosexual interaction.
4) Post your answers.
Let the good times roll!
By the way I am quite aware of how red flaggy this particular Facebook thread is. Look beyond these specifics and relate these red flags to general cultural tends or tropes.
- The Woman Card - May 2, 2016
- Frat boy bachelorettes and the invasion of gay bars - April 15, 2016
- “Not my kid….” - February 22, 2016