Untouchability is a feature of several unrelated societies in which certain groups are singled out for exclusion in very concrete ways.
Thwe wiki on untouchability lists these features of the status:
- Prohibition from eating with other caste member
- Provision of separate glasses for Dalits in village tea stalls
- Discriminatory seating arrangements and separate utensils in restaurants
- Segregation in seating and food arrangements in village functions and festivals
- Prohibition from entering into village temples
- Prohibition from wearing sandals or holding umbrellas in front of higher caste members
- Prohibition from entering other caste homes
- Prohibition from riding a bicycle inside the village
- Prohibition from using common village path
- Separate burial grounds
- No access to village’s common/public properties and resources (wells, ponds, temples, etc.)
- Segregation (separate seating area) of Dalit children in schools
- Sub-standard wages
- Bonded labour
- Social boycotts by other castes for refusing to perform their “duties”
This list describes untouchability in India, but most of it should quite familiar to Americans.…
The dose makes the poison.
One of the very useful memes that has come out of the gender discourse in the last few years is a discussion of “toxic masculinity” or the traditional masculinity that teaches little boys to make themselves disposable for the sake of women, as distinct from an earlier demonization of “macho pigs” and masculinity in general.…
Believe it or not……
Did you know that “female” is now considered a misogynistic slur in some quarters? Oh yes, and you are a woman-hating oppressor if you don’t fall into line.
There several kinds of dysfunction on display in this one:
First there is the appropriation of opprobrium over genuinely offensive and more to the point, actually dangerous terms such as “nigger’ or “faggot” that have a long history of licensing actual violence, both mid to high level terrorist violence up to and including murder by torture.…
A blogger calling herself stavvers at Another Angry Woman has an interesting post up. It is a real ball of sociopathic self-justification and gendercide fantasy. She starts out:
“Well, well, well. It seems the latest thing feminism is fighting about is the phrase “kill all men”.
Sometimes I do futile things – like posting a comment on Manboobz (this time on some quotes about rape and consent from Farrell’s 1993 book The Myth of Male Power.) I posted the link to the Mary P Koss paper where she calls it inappropriate to call men rape victims unless they have been penetrated as a example of other crappy things about rape that were published in 1993.…
Typhonblue asked Tamen about a British study of crime, the CESW, especially about the rape statistics:
“I looked at the source documents. Is the reason why there is such a low rate of men reporting “serious sexual assault” in both the alternative and current questionnaires?”
“Yes, there are two reasons I can see right away.
1. Mary P. Koss insists on a definition of rape that conceals the incidence of female-on-male rape.
2. The center for disease control (CDC) is a government entity charged with serving the entire public and all citizens of the United States equally.…
EquilibriumShift commented in the thread on DOUBLE STANDARDS – Jon Hamm and the Female Gaze:
This is absolutely related to the previous post re: Adria Richards power play to police sexuality to her standards.
He’s right. This really is about women controlling men’s behavior and speech.…
Ever since studies began coming out showing that large numbers, majorities even, of young women are reluctant to call themselves feminists, the subject has attracted comment.
Most recently Ally Fogg has posed the question in about as serious a form as I have seen.…
His eyes are up here, you pervert!
Actor Jon Hamm has been targeted for a whole lot of snickering about his genitals of the sort that no female actor has ever been, to my memory.
Ths is in the context of decades of blue-nosed hectoring abut “sexual objectification” when men look at women’s breasts – only now when the shoe is on the other foot, it’s quite alright for women to twitter over some guy’s bulge.…